Family: Acquitted cop should not return to work


TULSA, Okla. (AP) Developments on Thursday, May 18, about the not guilty verdict in the manslaughter trial of a white Tulsa, Oklahoma, police officer who fatally shot an unarmed black man (all times Central Daylight Time).

  • 12:55 p.m.

The family of Terence Crutcher called on Tulsa city leadership to block officer Betty Jo Shelby from returning to her job.

A jury acquitted the Tulsa police officer of a manslaughter charge late Wednesday. Shelby said she fired out of fear on Sept. 16 when she killed Crutcher, 40. He was holding his hands above his head when he was shot. Shelby has been on unpaid leave. Police have not publicly discussed her future with the department.

Crutcher’s twin sister said at a news conference she doesn’t believe justice was served in her brother’s death. Tiffany Crutcher said Shelby was violent, lacked training, and should not return to patrolling the streets.

Tulsa Mayor G.T. Bynum said he respected the jury’s decision but that the city still has racial disparities to change.

  • 10:50 a.m.

Tulsa Police Chief Chuck Jordan said his department would continue to uphold the public’s right to protest following demonstrations after the jury’s acquittal of Shelby.

About 100 demonstrators gathered outside the courthouse after the verdict was announced.

Jordan said during a news conference the protest was peaceful and he expected that to continue. Jordan said his officers de-escalated tensions. Police asked protesters not to block streets when some stepped into an intersection.

Mayor Bynum said called Tulsa’s racial divide the city’s greatest moral issue.

  • WEDNESDAY 10:15 p.m.

Shelby’s lawyer said the officer was elated that jurors found her not guilty.

Defense Attorney Shannon McMurray said Shelby was “elated and very proud of her jury.”

McMurray said Shelby was ready to get back to her life.

Shelby testified she shot Crutcher out of fear because she said he didn’t obey commands to lie on the ground and appeared to reach inside his SUV for what she thought was a gun. Prosecutors told jurors that Shelby overreacted, arguing that Crutcher had his hands in the air and wasn’t combative, partly confirmed by video taken from a dashboard camera and helicopter.

  • 10:00 p.m.

The jury reached its verdict after deliberating for just more than nine hours.

Crutcher’s family burst into tears and expressed outrage after jurors announced their verdict.

Cruthcer’s shooting was among a spate of officer-involved shootings in recent years that helped galvanize the Black Lives Matter movement and prompted calls for more police accountability.

  • 12:30 p.m.

Jurors began deliberating in Shelby’s manslaughter trial.